The South Tyne Brick and Tile Works circa 1860

Artists impression based on the

1860’s Ordnance Survey map

by Vic Fleming 2009

The building at the top left is Low Mill – the Cat Stairs are out of sight to the left of this and the current “Old Brickworks” are 300metres off the bottom of the page!  Two bridge abutments, some stone packing under the cliff and a series of mounds in the field beside Willia Road are all that remains of this works.